Sunday, July 3, 2011

Day 2: Hospital Introduction and Quick Shopping


This morning we took a more detailed tour through the hospital, visiting each department and meeting their respective heads. I’ve started writing down everyone’s name (in a way that makes me say it right; I’m sure I’ve murdered the spelling) when we are introduced because the words all jumble together. And we have to ask a couple of times to understand the correct pronunciation. Keeping Gowri and Gokul and other such close names straight will definitely be a challenge! But I am sure they feel the same way when we introduce ourselves (Jessica, Jessica, Jenny, Janah, Julia, Cathryn).



We spent a few minutes of our morning time at the vet school observing. Mostly we stood awkwardly, but Jenny did take initiative to ask a fourth year student about a case, and he was happy to share with us. It will take me some time to feel comfortable jumping in. The Indian students are very shy and will only speak to us if we start the conversation.
Jessica took a picture of this boy and his dog and was showing him the results. 



One of the interesting discussions we had today was with Dr. Kruslekar in large animal gynecology. He gave us a synopsis about how buffalo are different from domestic cattle (those of you reading tend to zone out when I talk school stuff should do so now. The following paragraph is full of nerd speak):

Buffalo exhibit delayed puberty, coming into their first heat around 2 ½ years old (versus 6 months), and show a delayed return to estrus after parturition. Their heats are silent, making artificial insemination difficult. Thus, teaser bulls are often used. They also have a prolonged estrus, lasting about 30 hours (versus 9 hours). Buffalo can survive harsher environments, eating woodier and less hearty plants. They also have a high quality of milk (up to about 10% milk fat versus 4%), which can be used to make many byproducts and serve as the main source of income and interest in keeping them. However, buffalo calf mortality is high and they cost (to purchase) about 60,000 Rupees (three times the cost of one domestic bovine). They also need wallowing tanks or regular misting to keep cool in the harsh Indian environment.

After our morning in the school, we headed back home for lunch, and then took a trip to Spencer’s Mall. I had my first haggling experience, bringing down the price of a scarf from 500 to 400 rupees (I’m sure I could have done much better, but it was my first time). Shop owners are very insistent that you come into their store, and I felt a little awkward, unsure if I should completely ignore them or just smile politely and keep walking.
Dr. Nathan being silly.



Next we took a stop to a five star hotel (Julia mentioned that she hoped if we drove by it someone could point it out to us, and we somehow found ourselves ushered in and treated by Dr. Nathan to a snack in the restaurant of the hotel). It was a fun experience, albeit unexpected. 


More to come! Tomorrow (Sunday) we are taking a day to look around Chennai. 

2 comments:

  1. Very cool....and YES my eyes glazed over...for just a bit!! I saw all of your pics on facebook!! Very Cool!! How is the food? Amazing I bet!! Good luck remembering the names....I have enough trouble in English!! Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting stuff and fun to see a close-up and personal commentary with pictures documenting it all. I'm so glad your mom pointed me to your blog. What an experience of a lifetime! It will be fun for you to come back and re-read the whole thing upon your return to the States! Please post some pictures of the jewelry made over there.

    ReplyDelete