Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Zebus, and Buffalo, and Horses, Oh My!

Another day in the large animal barn! The day (mostly) was a lot of fun. It started out with me trying to get near a zebu steer, and almost losing a body part in the process. But I had to get a picture with him! We don’t have these kinds of awesome cattle at home.
Cue wild west music


We saw a few horse cases. The first was of a bay stallion with an abscess on his neck from an injection that was pretty impressive. The second was a stallion with colic. He was the sweetest horse, and he kept wiggling his lips across the metal bar of his stanchion to keep himself entertained. We also saw a mare with pretty significant saddle sores that was pretty upsetting (due to how extensive the sores are).
Injection site abscess

Saddle sores

Sleepy colic kid

Our favorite buffalo came in again, along with her not-so-cooperative friend. She let us scratch her head and take videos of her. I found out she is in because of some mastitis problems (meaning she has an udder infection and isn’t milking well).

Jenny with our buffalo friend

Cathryn

We saw many other cases today, including the following:
Theileria case (a blood parasite)

Resting her chin :)

Waiting in line!

He had seasonal allergies, and a good face :)

1 comment:

  1. I love the stand off....glad you didn't lose any body parts in the exchange!!

    I'm sorry this is all so tough for you, but I think you are learning so much from all of this...as difficult as it is!! You are quite a young woman...and I grow prouder every day of your strengths! All you can do is your best and you always do!! Hang in there sweetie, you are doing a great job and quickly developing into the world's best vet!!

    I Love You!
    ~Mom

    ReplyDelete